Summer during Colorado usually means hot, dry days — ones that inevitably lead to wildfires across our fair state. What you may not realize is that the hot days of summer can also be a big risk for fires closer to home. There are some common summer activities that can put your home at a higher risk for fires. Fortunately, there are some easy steps you can take to help protect your home and avoid fire damage. Here’s what you need to know about preventing home fire damage: 

If you do experience fire damage, get your home repaired and in great condition again with professionally fire damage restoration. If you’re in Denver or around the Front Range, connect with All Purpose Restoration for local, family-run, professional help after a fire. 

 

Watch Your Grill

Backyard grilling is an integral part of summer for most folks, and we don’t blame you. It’s a beautiful way to gather family and friends together to enjoy long summer evenings. However, it’s also one of the most common causes of house fires. If you do grill out, make sure you: 

  • Keep your grill away from the side of your home.
  • Always clean it to prevent grease fires.
  • Stabilize it on a flat surface or other stable, flat source.
  • Check for gas leakage on a propane grill, and be careful of starter fluid on a charcoal grill.
  • Keep fire-extinguishing implements at hand — and never use water on a grease fire. 

 

Skip the At-Home Fireworks

Now, most years, Colorado is too dry to even think about setting off fireworks, so much so that most counties in the state ban fireworks except for city-run Independence Day shows. Keep in mind that, outside of the potential illegality, fireworks are the source behind hundreds of thousands of property damage every year. For the sake of your home, skip the fireworks. If you do choose to light sparklers or other small non-firework options, make sure you have water at hand and only use them away from the house, over concrete. 

 

Check Your Lawn Mower

One potential cause of house fires that you might not expect is your lawn mower. Damage to your mower, especially corrosive effects from the ethanol in gas, can wear away at fuel tanks, fuel lines, and the carburetor. Depending on the corrosive damage, flammable vapors can build up in the engine when your mower is not in use. If something sparks it, that vapor build-up will combust and can easily turn into a fire that you may not even know is happening. Make sure to keep your mower tuned up and in good shape. 

 

Check A/C and Dryer Vents

Your air conditioner and dryer are also common causes of house fires. For the air conditioner, make sure it’s tuned up before you start it up each year. Dirty coils and filters and worn wiring can all contribute to the potential for fires. Similarly, a filled dryer vent is highly flammable, so make sure you’re cleaning it regularly. 

If your home has fire damage, get everything taken care of with the help of the local pros. Connect with All Phase Restoration for fire damage restoration and other help across Denver.